Sunday 29 January 2012

Not quite a kingfisher...

Mr T sees kingfishers around our house all the times, darting across from one river bank to the other. He also claims that he has seen mermaids in the river but I will not believe that! Anyhow, I have become quite desperate to spot a kingfisher myself, not that I have never seen one before because I have on several occasions but that was in East Africa and it would be much more exciting to spot them here on my doorstep!

Malachite kingfisher, Lake Ziway, Ethiopia

Pied kingfisher, Lake Victoria, Uganda

Giant kingfisher, Lake Victoria, Uganda
Woodland kingfisher, Lake Victoria, Uganda
So I got really excited yesterday when  I spotted a bird with irisdescent plumage sat on a tree in our garden and sneaked out with a camera to try and take a picture of it. I was hoping for a kingfisher but the zoom on my camera revealed this:

Nuthatch, River Aare, Switzerland
Moral of the story (if there is one...): All that glitters isn't gold...Elusive kingfishers, I'll be back!

1 comment:

JuanitaTortilla said...

Let me know when you ever sight a kingfisher here!

I like Kingfishers myself. Not often are there blue birds in nature. I wonder if there ever will be a blue cat one day :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...