Sunday 18 September 2011

African animals

Happy Handmade Monday to you all!

After feeling a bit tired and lazy on Saturday (as a result of starting my new job and spending far too much time commuting), I decided to be a bit more proactive on Sunday. I know myself well enough to know that when I feel a bit tired and emotional I need to keep myself busy, otherwise I enter a vicious circle of boredom, tiredness and dark mood. There's nothing worse than getting to Sunday night and feeling like a weekend has been wasted, knowing that work resumes the following day.

I cut the patterns and fabric for these a week or so ago. I found the patterns in the same book I used to make Teddy Cat (see my Crafty Goodness page for more details on the book). After the success of my dress last week (thank you kindly everyone for your sweet comments), I decided that more of my African fabrics should be used...to make African animals!

First, there was the elephant...


...and its friend the giraffe came along...


It was so nice to get the sewing machine out to work on a small and easy project after my dress marathon. I have more patterns to make a crocodile, a zebra, a camel and an ostrich but these will have to wait for a bit (I have already started working on my next big project...a quilt! I know, madness!). Don't they look funky posing in front of my Ethiopian wooden mask?


That's all for this Handmade Monday from me, but many talented peeps are showcasing their crafty projects on here. Go and have a look!

I hope I will manage to post a couple of things on this blog this week. Working again means less time for crafting and outdoorsy adventures with Alf to share with you all, but once I have settled in my new job/office, I hope to be able to see more of Bern during my lunch breaks and to share my Bernese discoveries with you. The objective this week is to not fall asleep on the trains back home after work and to decide on plans for next weekend when we have Glaswegian visitors over.

Speak soon!

16 comments:

Anne - Imagination Beads said...

Ah, I remember commuting, so glad I don't have to do that any more.

teh animals are fantastic and the fabric is really vibrant, it really captures that African feel.

Wendy said...

Oh I love your animals! Love them both but especially the giraffe x

lovetartan said...

These are lovely!

CarolC1 said...

Oh I love them. The choice of fabric gives them soooo much character.

Unknown said...

I love giraffes... and the elephant is delightful. Just love the elegant neck on the giraffe... super!

Ali said...

I just love that giraffe!

Congratulations on your new job - hope the commuting isn't too bad.

Ali x

Kazies Magical Designs said...

these animals are lovely great use of fabrics xx

Jan said...

Great animals.
I hate the idea of falling asleep on public transport, I'm terrified I'll start snoring!!!!

Jan x

Carolee Crafts said...

The animals are so colourful and fun, love them

Caroline Lovis (Redneedle) said...

This fabric is the perfect choice for these lovely little animals

Christmas Pie Crafts said...

Good luck with your new job. The giraffe is my favourite.

Jill

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for using the African fabric - I wish I had thought of that before I took some fabric to the charity shop which I bought on holiday in St Lucia. It was far too garish for the British climate but would have been great as a toy! Aaggh!

Blue Forest Jewellery said...

Loving the elephant especially :-) Do they have names?

Hope you get used to the commuting soon and have a bit more energy for crafting. Work can really get in the way sometimes, can't it?!

Alison x

Vic said...

Loving the elephant. Ian got me a crochet animal book, and I attempted a mouse yesterday, looks mousesque but not totally convinced! keep up the crafting x

Planet Penny said...

Hope the job goes well, I love the fabrics and this is a really good way to show them off.
Penny x

Anonymous said...

I love these! Especially the giraffe! and the fabrics really suit them! x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...