Monday 12 November 2012

Snuggle blanket

Happy Handmade Monday!
 
Inspired by the mini-quilt I made last year and by how simple I had found the whole process, I decided to use some of my left-over Buttercup Moda Fabric to make another little blanket for one of my nieces for Christmas.
 
I simply love the fabric squares from that collection, the colours are so beautiful...







I am genuinely thinking of getting some more of these squares to make myself a double bed spread!
 
The problem with making the quilt was that I did not really have a backing fabric that matched the beautiful Moda fabric and that I could also use to make the quilt border. I wanted to use some of the fabric I already had without having to buy anything. I found an old Barbie fitted sheet from my childhood (which my Mum had kept for some unknown reason) with pink and white stripes which I thought looked nice and girly but clashed a bit with the front of the quilt.


While I was looking through online tutorials to remind myself how to make quilt borders, I came across the Red Pepper Quilts blog and a tutorial on how to make a quilt without binding. That solved my problem nicely! No need for borders and not as fiddly as I thought it could be, the front and the back of the quilt do not need to perfectly match, they can both have their own "style".



Another success I would say, using fabric I already have and learning a new technique!


I hope my niece will like it :-)

Join me on a craft tour over at Wendy's Handmade Harbour .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I reckon she'll love it. The colours are so pretty and I love the backing too.

JuanitaTortilla said...

The soft colours are nice. Now you've got me thinking -- do quilts really need borders or bindings?

Fiddly Fingers said...

I'm sure she will love it! It's very pretty. I think it's good to work within constraints sometimes as it makes us look at things from a different direction :)

Anonymous said...

you make it sound all so easy. The finished thing is lovely and I am sure that it will be treasured for a long while to come :)

Wendy said...

It's gorgeous and I love the simple striped backing too.

AliceAndFlorence said...

I think the colours look beautiful. I will have to look into the technique you used, and give it a go.
Wendy

Handbags by Helen said...

Those colours look lovely together

Ali said...

I'm sure your niece will be really pleased. The fabrics are very pretty.
Ali x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...