Wednesday 30 November 2011

A disappointing start to Christmas shopping

It was with a great deal of exciting that we set off to the Zürich Christmas market on Sunday. Excited because we were about to experience the privilege of  being able to go somewhere on a Sunday and find shops open; and excited because our last experience of Christmas markets four years ago was a very pleasant one. In 2007, Mr T and I spent a long weekend in Alsace (Eastern France) to stay with my sister and visit some of the local Christmas markets in Mulhouse and Strasbourg. I remember pretty city centres...



...quaint little stalls...


... and above all lots of Christmas decorations for sale!


Although I did buy some Christmas decorations at the time, I was hoping to be able to add to my collection this year now that we were in the centre of the Christmas Market world.

The Zürich Christmas market isn't the biggest of its kind in Switzerland but with 160 stalls, it is still a decent market. Maybe because it had only been opened for a few days, but I felt that the market lacked the special Christmas/winter atmosphere I was looking for (this may also be because the market is located in the middle of the train station...).



Too few stalls were selling actual Christmas craft or things you would want to buy people for Christmas...


A lot of the stalls were selling everyday items, some of it plastic tat. I was thinking I would be able to do my Christmas shopping there...it was not to be. :-(

The main attraction remains the gigantic Christmas tree covered in 5000 glittering Swarovski crystal ornaments..you have to remember that this is Zürich after all! Very bling bling!



Swaroski jewels at the bottom of the tree
So, I will not bother going back to this Christmas market but shall patiently await for the other Zürich Christmas market in the old town to open to check it out... I may also be tempted to travel to Basel to see what's going on there... watch this space!

5 comments:

zsazsazsu said...

here too : christmasmarkets are all about : massproduced items, scarfs, mittes, and lots of
booooozzzzzz :-(((

Ali said...

What a shame about the market - the stalls from last year looked wonderful so I see what you mean about this years missing the atmosphere.

That tree, however, is AMAZING!

Ali x

Kat Shenton said...

My mum is off there this weekend to spend a few days going down the river and visiting a number of the markets in the area. I have to state I am now jealous of both of you. It is a shame there wasn't much with regards to gifts, but I think the tree may have made that up for me ;) All things Christmassy! It looks stunning. I want a tree like that now :D

zsazsazsu said...

Made in Belgium for Made in Suisse ;-)
I made it again, so if you want to buy it, it's listed :
http://www.etsy.com/listing/79545543/african-green-turqoise-necklace-with-a

Cay said...

I agree- there is some beautiful things to purchase at the market, but it lacks the Christmas feeling. Have you been to Colmar, France? We went this past weekend- magical!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...